Translate

Saturday, March 22, 2008

A wildly successful hunt at LA's Milk





If you take a look at the pictures above, you can see I went on a bakery hunting rampage at LA's Milk today. Milk is a bakery & cafe where things are made fresh every day, and it certainly comes through in taste. Now, before even going to Milk, they had already won me over with their name-- it's important to be able to order milk at a bakery (although people in France may tell you otherwise). I have to appreciate their nod to the wonders of dairy.

From what I observed and sampled today, there was a lot of consistency and quality in the freshness and overall quality of Milk's offerings. The blueberry turnover pictured above tasted so fresh, it tasted like what an actual turnover should taste like! (You may have seen impostor turnovers at other shops: the ones with the hard outer crust, with edges that seem practically welded together?) Not at Milk though! The turnovers here are light and airy on the outside, with the real substance limited to where it should be-- located in the fruity middle.

Everything I tasted was more than satisfying-- the cookies tasted homemade, with their perfectly soft center and slightly crispy edges. I sampled both the chocolate chip walnut cookies as well as the molasses cookies. Both were mouth watering creations, and I especially appreciated the thin lines of icing drizzled over the island of molasses dough.

I also tried a slice of the corn and raspberry loaf-- a hearty selection that should be enjoyed with a cup of tea or a glass of milk to balance things out-- but one that satisfies the corn lovers out there. The grasshopper ice cream sandwich was also quite delicious and with a refreshing minty flavor.

All in all, this Saturday hunt through Los Angeles was wildly successful. Milk's selections come highly recommended from various constituents of The Great American Bakery Hunt, and I was pleased to find such a wide variety of lovely bakery creations to choose from. And friendly service to boot! I'll be back Milk, I'll be back very soon.

*Hours: Sun-Thurs: 9 am to 10 pm
Fri & Sat: 9 am to 11 pm

Please note that their late hours make them even more rad than originally anticipated by TGABH.

MILK
7290 Beverly Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90036

1 comment:

mr justin said...

Oh, what a place! And Kristin, thank you for making that ice cream sandwich picture a vertical shot.

If it was horizontal, well, I'd have make it my desktop background and the more I saw it, the more I'd obsess about the minty goodness of my all-time favorite ice cream flavor, and the way nothing compliments it more than two super-soft cookies and I'd debate whether to take the first bite out of the crispy chocolate-dipped half or the untainted, glorious green half but then I'd think no, no, stop teasing yourself, that's just cruel, put your old desktop picture of those adorable kittens back up, you have work to do and that place is like half an hour away, how about we compromise and get a package of ice cream sandwiches at Vons, I know how much you like those, even though you always feel awful after eating the whole box in the span of an hour, but nobody will know... just say you're going out for some fresh air... fresh, minty air.