Translate

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Turkey trotting to the bakery...

After participating in the Dana Point coastal Turkey Trot this morning, I was ready to gain those lost calories back with a little bakery hunting.

Imagine my delight when I came across a delicious chocolate chip walnut cookie at the race festival: this cookie had a perfectly gooey center and a crispy outer ring, made by one of the restaurant/bakeries in Dana Marina Center. I transported it to a nearby Starbucks, where I shared it with an old coworker and friend who had also raced that day. Among other conversations exchanged over coffee, we talked about how thankful we are to have had experiences in the nonprofit sector early in our professional careers.

I am thankful for many things and people in my life, but one thing out of the many that stands out to me is how fortunate I am to work towards causes that I believe in, and with others who believe in the same things.

Happy Thanksgiving!

p.s. Another cookie tip on the L.A. County side: Check out Schmerty's cookies over on Ocean Park in Santa Monica if you have a sudden cookie craving. This Mom and Pop cookie shop offers an assortment of delicious cookie treats...

Additionally, rumor has it that Jamaica's Cakes over on Pico might have some seasonal items to check out during the holidays...I seem to recall a conversation back in October about appealing sounding molasses cookies that may appear in a few months. Although beware, Jamaica's Cakes offers many items only if you order them first, and has a more limited daily selection of counter goods on display. Another note about this bakery is that it offers vegan and vegetarian options for cake fillings and other items.

No comments: