Translate

Thursday, August 07, 2008

Food geekery and Sherry Yard

My jaw almost dropped to the ground when I saw the sign.  I was strolling along at the Wednesday Santa Monica Farmer's market, when I discovered a posting for a free pastry discussion at the Santa Monica Public Library.  Entitled "Sweet Treats-- the Passion of Pastry," and featuring Sherry Yard, among other pastry chefs, I knew that somehow, someway, against all odds, I had to find the time to go to this.  Stay tuned for more about this adventure-- will she be doomed to sit in traffic as she commutes from her faraway office?  Will she meet other like-minded pastry fiends? Will she know the glory that is this free public library discussion for food geeks?  Join us next time for the conclusion of this riveting tale!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Dear Great American Bakery Hunter,
I still can't believe how passionate you are about pastries. As I promised I would like to email you some pictures I have taken in South of France and Spain of various pastry displays. You should probably know that I did not try any of them, as I'm not a big fan of sweets, but I before you publicly dishonor me, please know that I did some research in a bread and croissant's department. For some strange reason I did not find a great croissant in France, they all seemed pretty average, since I have nice warm one every morning at work, and yes, that makes me an expert . The best bread however is in my motherland Poland. As much as I don't believe in my countrymen's culinary skills I believe they know how to bake some great bread, and they are crazy about it. Every grocery store has delicious fresh bread delivered every 2-3 hours until 5pm. All I ate there, was bread with butter, Gouda cheese and tomatoes, that are by the way the best tasting tomatoes I have ever had, not to mention that for last 20 years of my life I believe the above combination of cheese and tomato on a fresh piece of bread is absolutely the ideal breakfast, lunch and dinner, sprinkle little onions and I'm in heaven.
They also have a pastry called Jagodzianka, it's a pastry filled with fresh blueberries, for more information about Polish pastries please go this this website http://www.polishbakery.co.uk/london/pastry.html as it is in English.
Since this blog doesn't allow me to upload any pictures, please send me your email, so I could send them to you.
I would like to write you about this fantastic mussels I had in South of France in rich but light white wine sauce, that were served in a big, huge pot with Pomme frite, but I understand this blog is about pastries and it would be rude to write about competitive food groups.
Kasia