Translate

Monday, November 06, 2006

From California to Baltimore, it's Taco Tuesdays and German Thursdays galore

In Southern California, we start the week off right with our much beloved tradition of Taco Tuesdays. For those of you who are not familiar with Taco Tuesday, it is a day when you are guaranteed to find a wealth of Mexican food to feast on for well under $6. On this day, Mexican food restaurants lower their prices, giving wallets a break so you can guiltlessly partake in all the piping hot tacos your heart desires. For taco lovers in Southern California, Taco Tuesday means freedom.

I don't know how the Taco Tuesday trend originally started, but by God, I'm not going to question it. Ever.

There are endless possibilities when it comes to Mexican food in Southern CA. Travel five miles in any direction and it is likely you will find several Taco Tuesdays occurring all around you. But for all you locals out there, the best Taco Tuesday around is at Taco Mesa on 19th street in Costa Mesa. Los Golondrinas comes in a close second. (For all of you serious taco hunters out there, check out L.A. based taco blogger at The Great Taco Hunt).

Taco Mesa remains my longtime neighborhood favorite. Although my devotion to bakery hunting never wavers, I do often have serious Taco Mesa cravings (particularly when Monday night rolls around).

During any typical week in my life, Tuesday is my most favorite food day. Taco Mesa's original Costa Mesa location is the only way to go. Positioned in a rather unglamorous spot across from the Costa Mesa DMV and next to a MacDonald's, it looks any other typical Mexican eatery from the outside (nothing to blog home about). But anyone who has sampled the greatness of their menu knows better. For this Costa Mesa diamond in the rough, outside appearances are incredibly deceiving. On Tuesdays, Taco Mesa sells tacos for $1 a piece. I can say with confidence that it's the best Taco Tuesday in town! If I were to ever have a firstborn, I would have to consider naming said firstborn Taco Mesa in honor of all of the amazing food I have eaten there over the years. I will be their loyal customer for eternity. (You can also try Taco Rosa for a slightly more upscale version of their food).

Food days definitely make the week go by faster-- anyone who has visited Acapulco's $2 margarita mondays knows this to be true. Speaking of "food days", it turns out that if I ever move to North Baltimore, I'll be able to participate in German Thursdays. Nicole Fuller of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Edelweiss Bakery and Cafe offers German Thursdays to customers in a weekly celebration of German culture. With a name like Friedersdorf, it's about time I get in touch with my German roots. Once a year at Oktoberfest just isn't enough. Bring on the German Thursdays Baltimore! Prost!

1 comment:

mr justin said...

So would Taco be the first name and Mesa be the middle? Or would it be one of those crazy multi-name first names like John Paul or Betty Sue? Either way, I'm sure he or she would get beat down on the playground. But at least mom is happy :)

Seriously, though, best Sangria I have ever tasted. No joke.